View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 04:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Three Years and Three Months

It's been a while since I last wrote here, which is usually a good sign. I thought I'd post up a brief report on how things are now.

My PCS was pretty bad to begin with, nausea, raging tinnitus, insomnia, fatigue - couldn't walk around the block without collapsing in the chair when I got back. A couple of times in the first two weeks my legs stopped working if I walked too far which was pretty weird. Then the anxiety and depression hit and I thought I was going mad. Most of my severe symptoms faded after about six months. The fatigue took longer. After two years I was left with insomnia and tinnitus.

However, over the last few months things have improved another notch and now I feel a whole lot better. My mind is clear and relaxed and I'm getting myself back to the person I once was. It goes to show that you can't put a timescale on recovery and you can still improve years later. I still have some tinnitus, sometimes it's so faint I don't know it's there, but exercise or mental work, like programming, makes it spike for a short while. My sleep is still crummy but I get enough now.

It's been a bewildering period of my life, hard to put into words, it feels like I've lost three years. I think having a sense of humour and stubborn blind faith have got me through it.

Things that I think have helped:
  • Quitting caffeine - helped with anxiety
  • Quitting alcohol - it's neurotoxic and disturbs sleep (but might imbibe again soon)
  • Walking in the countryside - improves circulation without overloading the brain
  • Vitamins - B12, B6, Iron, Magnesium, C and D - Especially B complex
  • Resting as much as possible - mindfulness if you like
  • Rebuilding bike engine - very mind absorbing
  • Gardening - low impact exercise and peaceful
  • Watching comedies and laughing - relieves tension promotes endorphins

Things that don't help:
  • Computers
  • Aerobic exercise - took me a while to work this out
  • Friends - because you look normal they don't understand why you can't go mountain biking like you used to
  • Doctors - as above
  • Stress of any kind

Symptoms overcome: Nausea, head pressure, debilitating fatigue, jelly legs, raised pulse rate, night sweats, restlessness, depersonalisation, anxiety, neck ache, depression.
Symptoms left: Disturbed sleep, some residual tinnitus.
SuperElectric is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Skeezyks (06-01-2017)