View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Has anyone had any experience of using EMS to exercise with???
I am unable to move very well at all due to stiffness and freezing.

I wondered if electric stimulation of muscles could in anyway benefit. Obviously the are being stimulate is not the root problem, but could it help?

I purchased the machine 3 yrs ago when I was mis-diagnosed with a MND, an the neuros and physios advised me not to use it to preserve muscle power.
Now with my PD diagnosis ,it seems the key is exercise.........so maybe this could be a starting point for me and should get it out of the drawer and hook myself up !!! aaghhhh!!! oops to high!!

I tried some more light PT last week with my arms that are stronger now than they have been for 2 yrs, since my sinemet regime! But I just got so tired , all over!!

I am only 43 yrs and lifted weights reguarly prior to getting sick nearly 4 yrs ago and have always been muscular.........but not anymore.

Anyone any ideas ?? on a workout for a basically wheelchair bound guy , whos mind wants to get fit! but the old bod ain't none to keen!

I have lost about 70 pounds in the past 1yr as I was only eating small , pudding type consitencey type meals, due to the swallowing probs. pre sinemet!!!! yippee!!
Now thats improved , but unable to take in protein, because of the Sinemet, which as you know builds muscle fibres and their strength.
Any ideas on how much protein ,can be taken in the periods between Sinemet as to not affect the drug??

thanks for listening........so many Questions!
PS I am not trying to get into physical shape , just so I can work out and gain some strength back and help eleviate the stiffness?
boomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote