View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
There are many visual and mechanical standard neurological tests they will perform during an initial checkup. After that they usually start with a battery of blood tests looking for any abnormalities that can damage the nerves.

They also, depending on your symptoms, may recommend some MRI's searching for possible compression issues. There are countless other tests if the easy ones come back negative, but the doctor will decide, depending on your symptoms, if they are worth pursuing.

If all your results over time are normal, the definitive test for small fiber neuropathy is the skin biopsy. A small plug of skin, usually from the thigh and ankle, is sent to a lab to count nerve fiber density.

Keep in mind, this process usually takes many months or more. Believe it or not, the symptoms your experiencing sometimes go away by themselves. I did not have a skin biopsy until more than a year after symptoms started. And sometimes people with symptoms show normal nerve density.

So Rosie33 also gave you excellent advice. This forum is an wealth of valuable information. The search feature rarely fails to provide answers to many questions you will encounter. So search away, if you don't find your answer, just ask.
Thank you for helping me. I am just afraid - besides my tinnitus, thank the Lord I am healthy. I dont want to be sick. The plug extraction sounds painful.- douglas
gdg111 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
St George 2013 (06-04-2017)