Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hmmmm.... such a tricky thing, when it comes to vision loss... it's harder to aquire new skills when you can't see well enough to read the directions and when working with something unfamiliar. If it was the eyes going on me rather than the hands, I could still play my instruments, or knit and crochet and some hand embroidery, like sashiko that's done in repetition more on feel than staring it down, but only because of how long I've been doing it. I couldn't imagine trying to learn a new craft without being able to see what I'm doing. Not that one couldn't learn, there's plenty of blind people out there who can sew, knit and crochet, even paint but it's been my experience that the ones who have an easier time of it were either born blind or lost their vision very early in life, once we gain that dependency on sight it becomes our all.

I suppose I should be glad it's the hands and not the eyes all the same... I can still read as much as I like to at least keep my brain from going completely idle, and I'm sure with that reading I'll eventually come across some sort of solution to my current predicament.... speaking of which I wonder how deft your hands must be to do bobbin lace? I've never tried it before, but I can tie my shoes with my right hand only because of the number of times I've injured the left and a general despising of slip on or velcroed shoes, just need to be able to get the pins into the pillow or board, and print out my patterns rather than drawing them... I don't really care for lace on the whole, but I do have a GD who would probably be able to put it to good use. Now is it worth the $40 for bobbins to find out?

Ahhh... better still, before spending the money I could probably fashion a close enough proximity to a bobbin from some old pencils and rubber bands. Yiiippppeeee a project!!!
St George 2013 (06-04-2017)