Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi33 View Post
Hi Jed the Humanoid

Welcome to NeuroTalk - I hope that you find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

My understanding is that lipomas are not usually malignant though they can look like liposarcomas, which are malignant - was any clinical testing done to rule out that possibility?

It is possible that your lipoma has compressed and damaged a nerve on one side of your body - this might explain some of what you have experienced. A neurologist should be able to discuss this with you.

You might finding posting on the "General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders" forum of NT helpful as well. Other NT members might recognise what you have described and make useful suggestions.

All the best.
Thank you for the reply.

I did an ultrasound scan of the small mass in my arm which was then diagnosed as a lipoma. I used to really enjoy playing computer games, but with one hand becoming so weak I simply had to give up. I became convinced the lipoma was causing a weakness especially in my two end fingers.

I went to a major hospital hoping that a quick consultation would result in a relatively straightforward surgery to take it out. My cancer situation was handled so brilliantly that my expectations were high of a favorable outcome, but this was the start of my journey into disappointment when it came to doctors who are not all the same or have the same concern for their patients.

I wanted to talk about my lipoma but this doctor immediately tried to tell me I had a weakness on one side of my body and at the time thought little of it having only recently started having the ptosis. "This is for the lipoma" I thought, but thought I would go along with his test to check my nerves even having told him one I did one at another hospital a year ago with nothing irregular. Maybe he really did have some idea, turned out he didn't particularly care. It was all a waste of time.

A week later, these tests, another 3 weeks to see the doctor again. Of course the tests came back quite normal and I again pressed on getting my lipoma taken out. At first he said it wasn't connected so didn't want to. A few minutes of nothing talk later, I pressed him again. This time he said that it might be close to a nerve and he didn't want to cause more damage. I sat there listening to this thinking 'You have just contradicted yourself and obviously just don't want to do anything'. Basically he had wasted my time, wasted my money and had no solutions, though of course the solution would have been relatively straightforward. To just cut open my arm and remove a rather deep lipoma.

I still think the lipoma might be compressing on a nerve, but seem to have no way of getting anyone to take it out. I would understand if it was something truly complicated.
Jed the Humanoid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-05-2017)