View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default The day before my birthday 2 years ago

2 years ago the day before my birthday I had a tubing accident. I hit a wake and the rest happened so quickly. My neck snapped (my main concern at the time) and my head bounced off my shoulder. Next I went head first into the water at high speeds.

My initial thought when my next snapped was "oh no! that's not good" I thought I had messed up my neck pretty bad. When I fell into the water I lost consciousness, but am not sure for how long... maybe just a few seconds. As my next thought was "why can't I breathe?" I told myself it was because I hadn't taken a good enough breath before I went under.

I swam to the top and even swam back to the boat, but couldn't pull myself up. I was so very disoriented. Everything was foggy, my ears started to ring and hurt like heck, then I felt as if I would loose my bowels and throw up at the same time.

Still unaware of my head injury I proceeded to enjoy the rest of the day and even the next day (my actual birthday) saying I was fine. Though my friends showed concern for my lethargy, slow speech and pace, and intermittent loss of balance. It wasn't until two days later I knew something was wrong. I was in pain and just felt off.

By the time I got to the hospital I could barley speak and required my mom's assistance to keep me steady when walking or standing. When I did speak I had a pretty bad stutter (which lasted 2 weeks) and found myself using my hands a lot, almost like an attempt to use sign language.

After loads of test, plenty of meds, and a frustrated me sitting there for hours unable to form proper sentences; it was decided that I would stay in the hospital over night for observation.
Prognosis: severe concussion and swelling on the brain. I don't really remember much details about my stay or conversations with the doctors. But I was told to stay off of work for 2 weeks (I only took 1) and if my speech didn't get better I would have to go to a speech therapist.
Well almost 2 years later, my speech is back to normal and the weakness in my left side is completely gone. What I am left with is a ton of questions...

I was someone with a high IQ, 2 degrees, a photographic memory, and a huge sense of responsibility. Now I am just "off" my short term memory is not what it used to be. I struggle with motivation to participate in the outside world. I don't have the same level of concentration as before. I feel like my verbal expression has suffered, whilst insomnia is now a common word in my vocabulary.
What I have been searching for, is help. Are there any studies on the long term effects of severe concussions or brain swelling?
I am not completely altered, but I notice the change and I am just looking for some answers. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful.
*I know this was all a mouthful. Thank you for taking the time to read this*
FriendlyFriend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (06-07-2017), Skeezyks (06-08-2017)