View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't see any benefit in caffeine for brain recovery, as Mark says it restricts blood vessels. It's also a stimulant which is not good if you're having any anxiety symptoms or sleeping issues. Cutting out both caffeine and sugar, as much as is practical, can only be a good thing for health generally. I've given up caffeine too and feel better for it. I was only a moderate coffee drinker, but my day has less highs and lows, I didn't think it would make any difference so was surprised. Just shows you how crappy our modern western diets are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Caffeine decreases cerebral blood flow. Alcohol increase cerebral blood flow. Since every brain injury is different, making a blanket statement of what caffeine does in each individual cases is difficult. If you improve without caffeine, that suggest that the negative effects of caffeine are an issue for you.

Brain injuries are known to cause increased sensitivity to various chemicals, caffeine, MSG, sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc. But, each person is different. For me, caffeine after 3 PM will effect me well past midnight. I might not be able to settle into sleep until 6 AM.

One rat study found caffeine in large doses to be beneficial in severe brain injuries during the immediate acute phase.

Overall, the consensus has been to avoid caffeine with a single serving being acceptable to start the day for some.

Symptoms overcome: Nausea, head pressure, debilitating fatigue, jelly legs, raised pulse rate, night sweats, restlessness, depersonalisation, anxiety, neck ache, depression.
Symptoms left: Disturbed sleep, some residual tinnitus.
SuperElectric is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote