View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Alan may have Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment

Hi all. Sorry I have been absent but with my broken hip, sciatica and taking care of Alan, I have no time to do anything. Yesterday the podiatrist told me that his foot ulcer is not healing. It's not getting any worse it's just stuck and needs a jump start. He needs to off load with the crow boot at all times. Not easy for him.

So the doctor prescribed Colaginase Santyl and it arrived today. Cost $219 for a tube. But nothing else was doing anything so tonight we start doing that.

Also the doctor said "Alan needs Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (I know what this is). We have an appointment on June 23 at Maimonides Wound Treatment Hyperbaric center to have him evaluated to see if he's a candidate for this.

I read the possible side effects. Because of the change in pressure in this chamber it can affect the ears (for awhile) until he gets used to it. Like when you fly on a plane.

Here's my concern. Alan needs SOMETHING to heal this foot ulcer. He has had it on and off for YEARS. He was given a stent in 2006, sent to cardiac rehab and they put him on a treadmill. Since the guy has neuropathy for over 20, whoever deemed it good to make a man who can't feel his feet go on a treadmill, well, he got a foot ulcer. It did heal from time to time. Only got one infection in 11 years and that was cleared up with antibiotics but that was YEARS ago. We've done the medi-honey, the solocite, and other stuff but this time, it's not going away. I even tried desitin because zinc oxide is supposed to heal. He takes zinc also. Nothing worked. So as of yesterday his podiatrist feels this is the logical step to heal his foot ulcer.

Here's my concern. I dont' know anyone who has done this therapy. Alan has menieres and slight tinnitus for years. He sometimes gets a little off balance because of his neuropathy but he uses a rollator walker and he's good to go.

Can this therapy hurt him in any way. Will he get nauseaus or disoriented? I know I can ask these questions on June 23rd but I thought I would run it by you guys.

Oh, on a funny note, he's been telling people, "I"m going for Bariatric Therapy." I then clear this up by saying 'No, not Bariatric, Hyperbaric Therapy" I can see where he would get confused. lol

So I hope all of you are fighting the good fight.

Oh, one more thing. I read on the internet that this type of therapy might help neuropathy. Now wouldn't THAT be some thing??

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-08-2017)