View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I know I've posted before on things like diets, so I'll try and keep this short... first off, understand the disease itself, while it is unclear still exactly what causes it, what we do know about the disease is that it effects the mylenin sheath covering the nerves within the central nervous system, and for whatever reason those of us with MS effectively tells our immune system that this sheath is a threat so it attacks it. And just like stripping wires, the "copper" gets exposed and the sparks fly. It is this exposure of nerves that should otherwise be protected which causes the wide variety of symptoms from mild to severe and likewise inflammation as surround tissues are being affected from both the unusual nerve conductions as well as pressures from scar tissue from where the sheath has been destroyed.

A change in diet will not change our immune response, will not rewrite our immune systems and tell them that our mylenin sheaths aren't yummy little germs to be eaten. This doesn't mean that some folks won't feel a little better if they change their diets, or take a supplement... but that's really only IF in changing their diet or adding a supplement they are either removing an intolerance reaction on top of the MS or fulfilling something they otherwise are not obtaining from their diets. That with or without MS would have made them feel effects of problems stemming from either issue.

Gluten has been a hot topic in the world of nutrition, complete with at least 3 documentaries on Netflix concerning all the tales of woe surrounding it. The perils that will befall the masses just by touching it. It doesn't matter that it's been a part of the human diet since before the Fertile Crescent, and that combined with seafood, wheat was the second most important dietary addition we humans made to obtaining higher ordeal thinking by supplying our bodies with the necessary calories for our brains to expand and create the intricate nerve network which MS is out to destroy.

But as with all things there does exist allergies and intolerances. I can drink milk by the gallons, eat all the cheese and ice cream I want and never once need I concern myself with having any sort of issues afterwards... my DH can't. He can manage to eat a little bit of cheese and the harder more aged the cheese the better, but even just half a glass of milk leaves him doubled over in pain. He can tell you probably better than most that milk causes an inflammatory response in his body. On the flip side he can eat all the shrimp he likes, whereas just eating something that had touched anything containing shrimp puts me into anaphylaxis (severe and life-threatening inflammatory response).

Now if my husband hurts himself at work... pulls a muscle in his back let's say, and his body is already giving an inflammatory response to the injury, and he then eats his little bit of cheese that he normally can... guess what, the sore back becomes a very painful back. He's compounding the inflammatory response, thereby increasing his symptoms. Leave the cheese alone for a few days and he's right as rain as again same as anyone else without a lactose intolerance hurting themselves in a similar fashion. Eat the cheese and he delays his recovery by a few days to weeks...

Same thing with MS, since not all the symptoms are being caused directly by the "wiring short" but more indirectly by the inflammation resulting therefrom, ingesting things which cause an inflammatory response will increase symptoms, and removing foods from an individual's diet that cause inflammatory responses to the individual will decrease symptoms (to a point). But it's not really decreasing the symptoms of MS, it's decreasing the symptoms of additional inflammation on top of the MS. But even a healthy individual without MS would feel better by avoiding things which cause inflammatory responses within their bodies, and it's not the same thing for everyone.

Giving up gluten won't kill anyone, it may IF they have an intolerance to it, improve how they feel overall, but it won't cure a single thing (short of celiac disease which isn't really curing it just removing that which causes sufferers to have an immune-response same as any allergic reaction). Just like my avoiding shrimp isn't making me any less allergic to it, but likewise my immune system isn't responding to it, because it's not being exposed to it... I'm not cured from my anaphylactic shock response to shellfish, but my throat isn't closed up, my eyes aren't swollen shut, my lungs aren't inflamed and filling with fluid, because I'm not eating shellfish.

So take all those "diets" and "supplements" with a grain of salt (which salt by the way can increase inflammation when taken to excess but a single grain won't harm you) when they claim to "cure" something by taking away or adding one "superfood" to your body, and try to learn a little about what actually happens in the human body when exposed to the world at large or microscopic as the case maybe. And if desperate to help your symptoms no matter the disease, feel free to give it a whirl for seven days, if things seem better keep it up if you like, but never expect a miracle and for the love of all that is holy don't go around telling everyone it's a "cure", because it simply isn't nor will it work for everyone, just like not everyone suffers from liver failure because they drank alcohol or heart and lung disease from smoking cigarettes, or drops dead from a heart attack because they ate real butter and fried eggs. The majority of the time with so-called "bad things" less than half the population will actually suffer from exposure to them and less than half as many as that will find them to be life-threatening.

Everything in moderation, including moderation tends to be the best policy anyone can take in all matters of life.
clarkstar (06-14-2017), Jappy (06-29-2017), kiwi33 (06-08-2017), TXBatman (06-13-2017)