View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about Type 2 and genetics.

Hi all.

I have a friend who will turn 60 soon. She's morbidly obese and has not seen a doctor in over 30 years. She's scared to death. Well, for whatever reason, she let me take her blood sugar tonight. I could not believe it. I really thought it would be high because her mom and dad (both deceased) had diabetes (Type 2) and her 55 year old sister has diabetes. She's on Metformin. The parents got it when they were in their 50's. The sister, (well I don't know when she found out).

My friend cooks and eats carbs all day. But she's never thirsty and the other day we were talking and she mentioned that she never gets up to pee during the night. I said to myself "I would love to test her, just to see what it would be".

Well, we were all sitting at Dunkin tonight. Alan went to sleep so I went out and down to the corner to meet up with my friends. I took their blood sugar.

My friend initially would not let me. I told her 'I promise to keep my face straight and not give anything away but I just want to know". I could not believe she said yes.

Well it was 127. After eating Pasta and carbs all day long. I got so excited I showed her and she was amazed. She had been afraid to find out.

Not let me ask you a question. Does this mean that she has no predisposition to be a diabetic? I mean, after all these carbs, and she's obese, she's not a diabetic?? That's amazing.

Thanks to anyone who can explain the genetics of diabetes to me. I mean I can go on the internet and read but there's all that different information and I just want to understand.

I told her 'Just because you found this out, doesn't mean you go and eat Sundaes and pizza all the time". She laughed and said "Oh I know"

Thanks to anyone who can explain this to me. I mean, both parents and her sister (who is not obese) can have diabetes and it skips her??

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote