Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Yeah, not real big on "following directions" in most cases To me they're more guidelines when I'm given directions. I used to play a lot of trivia games, but they do tend to get boring after awhile... even though I'm losing it some I do still have a pretty decent memory for weird trivia, so all my trivial pursuit type games are now out the window, Q and As are all memorized enough to not make them a challenge and I run into the same thing with apps, run through the question database once and thats kind of it.

I do love foreign languages though so I've returned to learning Japanese, already have gone pretty much as far as I can with French and German short of moving to one country or another or at least finding a good friend from one. And I'm thinking of trying Portuguese next, we'll see if I'm able to gain a reading profiency with Japanese first, right now I know it better by ear than character, though I can sound out and somewhat translate if it's in hiragana, and I know about half the katakana characters which are primarily used for spelling foreign words, but once you move into kanji I'm lost aside from 人 person and the numbers up to ten. But oddly enough I find it helps my dyslexia some learning Japanese, from learning it I'm able sound English words out a little bit, something I was never able to do before. Mines kind of weird because I could read long before being taught to "read" I just could never read aloud, my brain kind of made its own sounds for the words but was able to maintain the meaning.

So at four years old I could see the word feline and understand it meant cat, but couldn't sound out the word not even the starting sound, could write it down but couldn't even speak the letters in order to spell it aloud with it in front of me, my brain just kind of made its own sound for it. But I could define it, and learned how to say it by someone else reading it to me, then it would go "click" okay, so that's the word sound that matches this 'picture'. That's been the norm for me all along until learning Japanese, something about their different characters just seems to make sense in my brain at least with the phonetic writing (hiragana and katakana), probably because they don't change sounds "せ" is "se" no matter where in the word and no matter the letters that surround it. And I couldn't even tell you if the e is short or long vowel sound other than to say that it sounds like you're saying "s-eh".

Either way it's fun... but kind of hard to dedicate enough time to learning it to stave off boredom. At most I can dedicate maybe 2-3 hours broken up throughout the day to it, but trying for anymore than that and the brain gets fried, jumbled up, confused and spits it all out. So I try to keep it to no more than an hour or so a day, aside from listening to it... I can watch anime and jdramas (sooo cheesy, like really b-list 80's but funny) all day long. Okay "watching" may be a strong word, but I can have it as background noise all day long and glance at on occasion, I just don't like watching tv that much, two shows, NCIS and Big Bang Theory and more the latter, I'm fine with missing a few episodes of NCIS, but I love BBT (Sheldon's my hero!!!)
St George 2013 (06-11-2017)