View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:11 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Kicker- they may not be identical, but I'm sure they're going to have identical reactions to the diaper comment .

C- I think we can all understand the devastation of losing a family member, and the desire to help when they are struggling with their health. However perhaps it's in the wording that I think kind of sets our back teeth on edge, I believe gluten has already been discussed on the boards before, as has grapeseeds, and reduced sodium I know for sure since my own doctor suggested it and I tried it and my sodium levels dropped wayyyyyy too far, just giving up table salt, not that they were high to begin with.

But even if you're just quoting what someone else called their video, book, or article as "reversing", "curing", "stopping" etc... it most likely going to get a bit of an inflamed response out of those of us who have the disease. And we are here to help the newly diagnosed, the as yet undiagnosed, and the long since diagnosed as well as their family members. For those of use long since diagnosed we may have tried a few things, or a lot of things, but as we've progressed along we've come to understand a lot about the disease, our doctors explain things, our physical therapists explain, heck even a lot of the pharmaceutical companies have people come out and explain, we learn far more about the human body, it's immune system and processes then I think any one of us ever really had a desire to learn.

And that makes those of us who have long since been diagnosed both a little "peeved" might be the word when we hear about such claims, but also highly protective over the newly diagnosed and those awaiting diagnosis and our family members. Those who haven't been thrust into the world of auto-immune and neuroscience by the disease yet. And the use of "cure", "reverse", "stop".... project unrealistic expectations and depending on the suggestion could even be harmful. We naturally hope that people will discuss anything they may read about on the boards with their doctor, but sometimes desperation makes us do crazy things. For some of us, we've had times where if someone told us burying a live chicken in front of our house would help (an old old folk remedy for insanity) we might look twice at the little chicks at tractor supply and wonder...

Suggestions are great, and greatly appreciated, but try to look beyond "worked for this person" and a bit more into the actual science behind why it may have worked. Because yes, if you have a gluten intolerance as well as MS, giving up gluten will also lessen some of the MS symptoms you're experiencing, not because gluten is causing your MS, you're not "reversing" anything, but because you're removing an additional inflammatory response, you're no longer pouring hot water over the burn so to speak.

Sorry to the mods if i overstepped on this one and sorry to C if I come off a bit "snarky?" Not trying to discount the suggestion as such, just the proclamation, while offering a bit of the science behind it all.
Jappy (06-29-2017)