View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 05:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Half off topic: I have a book called "Soldier Dogs" about dogs trained and used in combat. Moving, interesting, astonishing. Until recently, dogs were deemed "army materials", so were almost never shipped back from the war zones to the US, but that changed after much protesting, and now they can be adopted via a very rigorous program. Same author wrote Secret Service Dogs, but I haven't read that one yet. Talked with the author once on Facebook, very friendly woman.

One of the things that comes up is that Labs, even though they have incredible stamina and bite force, can not be trained as combat dogs. They just lack the aggression, and become loony if you (try to) force them. They truly are (unless mismanaged) incredibly into humans - all humans.

We have two, and I can only confirm that. They each produce 3 to 4 barks a week max (when something happens at the front door and they can't see what). Slightly more now, as the oldest is completely deaf and very very slightly demented at times. But she's having fun, eats like a puppy, so she'll have a full 14 years on this earth soon - which is pretty decent for a Lab (usually get to about 12 yo).

I do worry for the younger one though. He's 11, and was adopted by her after about 0.3 seconds in the house. They have been inseparable since, and we still have to witness the first "argument" between them (not even a grunt, nothing).

As for the other pets, the cats just love them both and want to constantly lie next to/on top of them. Even the parrot - who came late in their lives - doesn't pose a problem.

The neighbours have said a few times they keep forgetting we have dogs, as they never hear them. It's a big family there, constantly people coming and going, but the dogs know exactly who's who and don't blink an eye.

Anyway, like I said, off topic, but it does confirm the Lab thing.
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-10-2017), ger715 (06-10-2017), PamelaJune (06-10-2017)