Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Newly Joined

5 yr Member
Default Abdominal and shoulder pain after VP shunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy S. View Post
Hi,
I had a VP Shunt put in a little over a week ago. Within hours I was having sharp pains in my lower abdomen. Then yesterday I started hurting in my right side and now it's clear across my stomach. It hurts to breathe move etc. I can't get comfortable or sleep. If anyone has any answers for me please help. This is my first surgery. Thanks in advance.
I had my VP shunt 5 years ago in 2012 - only just found this site.
I had immediate and total relief from all the symptoms of the hydrocephalus that had developed as a complication of my acoustic neuroma but from day 1 after surgery I started getting intense abdominal cramps on and off- but several times a day to start with- like being stabbed. I am sure it was the CSF causing irritation because the location of the pain was directly related to my body position and where the liquid would drain to - so if I was standing or sitting I would be 'stabbed' upwards from my bowel or bladder area, if I lay down on my side the stabbing was under my ribs on the side I was lying on. I also had a very intense stabbing in my left shoulder which I believe is referred pain from diaphragm irritation. It can't be the end of the shunt tube as it moves around so much. I mentioned this on my first follow up appointment but wasn't taken seriously- they had never heard of this apparently. I'm pleased to report that the frequency of the cramp/stabbing reduced after a few months but I still get the shoulder pain once or twice a week and the abdominal stabbing pain perhaps once every 2-3 weeks. I am fit and well otherwise and can put up with it but for the few minutes it lasts it is totally intense and distracting. Has anyone else had this and have they ever had an explanation? Thanks
Norah95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote