Thread: Cephalexin
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 01:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bluesfan,

Thank you for your helpful response, and the article. I read it and found it helpful and interesting. I'm sorry I didn't see your response and respond sooner. I haven't logged on for some time again. I hope to check in here more regularly.

I ended up taking it for a few days, and stopped once the infection was gone. I don't think it caused me any problems, but with full-body neuropathy, I can't be sure. Anyway, there was no noticeable change. I'll avoid it in the future.

I'm sorry to read about your story, or this part of it at least. Hearing these things always makes me sad, but I'm glad there was respite from the intensity of the symptoms.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to write a more general post about how I'm doing. But in general, almost 3 years in and there's still no hope for discovering what's going on with me. It's depressing and not something I want to think about, so I just throw myself into my work and not think about it as much as I can.

Thanks again!
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post
Hi David

Good to see you back - sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner - been away a few days.

Sorry to report that the antibiotic you're on; Cephalexin, is included among those known to cause neuropathy. It's in a class of antibiotics called Cephalosporins. Here's a link to an article which specifically mentions them. (scroll down to you find the section on Cephalosporins)

Neurotoxic effects associated with antibiotic use: management considerations

I sincerely hope you don't have any further reactions and increased PN symptoms. I know you've dealt with these before but it still sucks. The only slightly positive news I can give you is that I had (undiagnosed) PN when I was given Metrondiazole (Flagyl). My PN went from feet and hands to intense full-body. While I still have full-body PN the intensity/frequency has slightly reduced - although summer and heat still ramps it up.

All the best - let us know how you're doing.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-10-2017)