View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 01:32 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Wish I could help with socializing, but I've never been good at it, and it only got worse when I moved to GA and then with MS I basically live as a shut in. Maybe there's a community center near you? Or something that allows for freedom in hours as a volenteer... our library used and might still have a group they called friends of the library, they held fundraisers to help out the library for expansions and adding computers and such. Meetings were only an hour long once a month or so, and the fundraisers were only I think 2 or 3 times a year... selling off old books, bake sale and some fair like event. And it was all done on a "help as you can" basis.

If you have friends from work that you're close with maybe see about a book club or something, crafting circles... I dunno... kind of terrible at things like that. Depending on your and the age groups of your friends you could even try hosting D&D games or bridge... my experience so far is giving folks a good reason to eat drink and be merry tends to have people coming over to visit. If you brew it they will come . And some people also still enjoy good old fashion "tea", light meal and some interesting tea selections, a deck of cards and either having plenty of gossip or inviting the best gossipmonger you know can be a fun way to wile away a Friday afternoon.

And there's generally always the fall back to national social clubs like the Lions Club, Red Hats Society, Kiwanis, Masons... etc. Most churches tend to have some social groups, and even offer Sunday schools where they're always looking for volunteers. It won't be quite the same as the 8 hour days 5 days a week, and health might keep you from being one of the most active members, but still gives a good reason if you're part of a group to struggle that extra little bit to make it to a short meeting on a bad day.

About all I can think of, and mostly stolen from what my parents do to stay socialized (except D&D that's more the 40's something scene retro games and booze!) I more prefer my interpersonal relationships to be internet based , and yet I don't even use Facebook go figure .

Last edited by Starznight; 06-14-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Very bad auto-correct happenings
Starznight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (06-14-2017), tkrik (06-16-2017)