Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 01:04 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Oh the poor DH, he's not going to be thrilled with me for a bit... got to thinking about the gardening dilemma down here and now trying to convince him to build me a garden on my kitchen wall lol. I've seen a few different ideas like using mason jars that would be water tight so as to not flood my kitchen every time the plants need water to setting up water tight boxes and attaching them too the wall.

A nice plant light (which they make in LED form now) overtop the "wall" of plants and I can grow everything from strawberries to lettuce bug and heat free and all throughout the year... another option is turning the aquarium in our living room into a hydroponic garden wouldn't even need to worry about fertilizer with the little fishies keeping the plants well fed while the plants keep the tank clean. And all the while the plants can help keep the air in the house nice and fresh too.

Plus if I get into pottery again, I can make my own planters too... poor DH is going to have quite the little projects ahead for him, now I just wonder if I can bring him over to my side of it being a good idea by telling him I'll stop asking for an addition window in our kitchen and we'll make the plant wall where I wanted the window to go lol. Though I might have to offer more compromises if I want my garden to be rotating (pulley like system so I can move the plants on top down to a place easy to reach to tend to them)

I think a locking bicycle chain and gear would work for that... maybe even find some old peddles so it can be hand wheeled to rotate the garden around as I need to and hang the whole thing from the ceiling almost against the wall... hmmm need to work out the particulars still... but I'm thinking this could work... providing the DH is willing to put in the initial grunt work... failing fancy gear works, I suppose my mom and I could just make something and put it up and "surprise" him when he gets home one day lol.

What is it they say, easier to seek forgiveness than permission?
ewizabeth (06-16-2017), tkrik (06-16-2017)