Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caij View Post
Hi Melody,

I've been type 1 diabetic for 35 years.

Most babies have very good control of their blood glucose from birth and I'm sorry to say the situation you describe is unlikely.

If a diagnosis of diabetes has been made there should be plenty of local health services to help guide them through this difficult adjustment. They will need to take BGLs regularly and learn how to adjust the amount of short acting insulin according to how much carbohydrate (incl. sugars) is eaten. Most foods are labelled.

Incorrect insulin dosage is the most likely culprit. Too much or too little insulin can cause high bgl (although counterintuitive, too much insulin can lead to a rebound high). They should keep returning to the endocrinologist or diabetic educator until they get it right.

Other causes of high BGL are infection, illness and hormones.

Go to the ER if the BGL remains high and if they don't have the confidence to give corrective short acting doses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi. Have some more concerns about this poor baby. She has had several spikes from 42 to 400. The other day while she was napping, her mom took her sugar and it was 40. She immediately gave her some juice. In 30 minutes it went to over 400. Why is this happening. How can BS readings go from 40 to over 400 in 30 minutes. What exactly is happening when this occurs?
The mom (for whatever reason, and she has the omnipods in the house with all the refills) is not ready to go for training and put her on the pod. But she is doing a great job with the injections and she's on top of it.

Wouldn't the omnipod stop all those spikes?

These spikes....aren't they affecting the blood vessels in her eyes, and other parts of her body. She's only 23 months old.

Do you agree that the omnipod would be in her best interest?

Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote