View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Arrow Integrative medicine for PD - RX -supplementation and exercise

Parkinsons Patients - integrative medicine...

Phosphatidylserine (PS), a phospholipid, is made by the body and is important to brain function. People with Parkinson's often have low levels of PS. One study showed that taking 100 mg of PS three times per day improved mood and brain function in people with Parkinson's.

also in same article-

Brahmi ( Bacopa monniera ) is an Ayurvedic herb that is often used to treat people with Parkinson’s. Studies have pointed to its effectiveness as an antioxidant for the brain and suggest that it improves circulation to the brain, as well as improving mood, cognitive function, and general neurological function. Dosage guidelines vary among practitioners, but 100 - 200 mg twice daily is often recommended.

my 10 cents - a tiny /small even - op/ed on exercise~
do not set unrealistic goals if you are considering a stationary bike in airconditioning... okay -ask your doc what he feels is safe...

I like to walk, or lift hand waits - there are other ways of detoxification - other than sweating -loosing electrolytes
are not a good idea, unless you have not had the PD beast long - less is more, you do not need to hurt yourselves ! okie dokie!
because
if I would have ever been able to ride a bike -
I wouldnt have to worry about PD~ the reason being - is death!
I was almost hit by a car AND - I crashed on a bicycle not built for 2!
when I was 10 and my sister was 9!
and she broke her arm... if you can do this after 10 to 15 years of PD
you are a miracle waiting to happen...

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/p...ase-000123.htm

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote