View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

nickd,

You need to find a new neurologist. She should have given you a much firmer NO answer and referred you to a psychologist or psychiatrist or other therapist to help you with your OCD and anxiety when something TOUCHES your head.

As Bud said, your anxiety is a big fat liar. I agree with the importance of the thought, "If this bump would not have upset you prior to your concussion, let it go."

But you need to know the truth. YES, you can get a concussion with very little head movement/momentum. BUT, that impact would likely fracture your skull first and comprise of 200 to 400 G's of force. A 4 pound camera would have felt like 800 pounds or more. It would have been traveling about 80 miles per hour.

A Newton's Cradle is a good example of how force can pass through an object with that object moving very little.

At most, you pinched your ear. Ouch. The ear has sensitive nerves. The view screen likely weighed a few ounces and was flexible because it is on a hinge. The common consumer grade video cameras are only 2 pounds.

I got a concussion about 10 years ago when I dropped an automatic transmission on my head. My head was lightly against the concrete driveway so it did not move much at all but the transmission was 200 pounds and fell about 6 inches. I saw stars and had headaches on and off for 6 months. I'm lucky it hit me in the forehead where the skull is very strong. It only left a dent.

I suggest you do some desensitization training. Get a dozen eggs. Hard boil 10 of them and mix them up. Now, play Jimmy Fallon's egg challenge by smacking them on your forehead. Neither will harm you but the raw egg will startle you. Get used to being startled.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nickd (06-19-2017)