Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Saw neuro today: Symptoms, treatment, self-care

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Are you employed? If so, you might be able to obtain that through them. Annie
Hi Annie and all,
Yep, still employed, and indeed I have possible LTD coverage through the job. Of course the private insurance company can always reject my app. But I got legal advice in preparing the app. and the lawyer was/is very optimistic.

Today I saw my neuro. She repeatedly told me I should have been keeping a symptom diary (not that she had told me to on May 1 when I first saw her.) Because I haven’t done so, it’s hard to know such crucial things as whether Mestinon is making any positive difference. I felt shamed (not that that was her goal, but shame is where I go.) I know my symptoms have rapidly increased—weakness in legs and neck especially, but exactly when and how much is what I should have recorded.
Now, symptom diary in hand (actually it’s an Excel spreadsheet), we agreed that I would increase my Mestinon from 60mg X3/day to 90 (slowly, over 12 days). I’m afraid of the alternative classes of meds (steroids exacerbate my already bad sleep problems, and immune-suppressants are outright scary-- e.g. increase chances of cancer, when I already had malignant thymoma 3yrs ago, which led to my initial MG diagnosis. The two go together, right?) I’d like to hear from people who’ve had a rough time recovering from thymectomy via sternotomy.
If increased Mestinon does not help, it’s time for IVIg.
Today the neuro warned me about exercise possibly inducing MG crisis, but I’m still well enough to resist the warning, and find plenty of support for that in the literature on PubMed. As long as I can walk vigorously in the a.m., even if I get leg weakness in the afternoon I don’t fear a crisis—but I recognize I must keep careful records of this, too. What do others think?
2Fatigued is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-21-2017)