Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Well DH is so far saying no on my ideas for a wall garden, but he did send me to michaels carte blanche so I picked up a few different crafty things, mostly silly little kits to try out some new things... Needle Felting is my favorite new craft . I can do it with either hand...it's not much different than sculpting with clay aside from the numerous pokes you're making but requires less deft fingers than clay work. No waiting for it to dry, or kiln required and I can make pictures by felting 2D or sculptures in 3D all with the same needles and wool... I can even start saving my cats fur to wash, card and then felt. And I'm actually considering going to the local pet groomers and seeing if they won't bag up some fur for me from when they groom. In which case it'll be free minus some soap and dyes.

Hey less bags in the local landfill and free "wool" for me, sounds like a win/win to me. What exactly I'll do with pictures no doubt aplenty and tons of little sculpted animals I'm not real sure yet, but I figure I need to get my supply line down before worrying about it too much, even though the wool roving is pretty cheap too, 200 grams for $10 plain and 100 for $10 colored, still if it's free off the groomers floor why pay for it? And there's a few natural dyes I can gather up from my garden soooo even that would be free minus the $1.00 a gallon vinegar and some water.

So far in from just a bit in the morning I've managed to roughly shape the fox's tail from the kit I bought, isn't it cute? Needs a bit more shaping and a few more wisps of white at the end, but don't think it's all bad for a first time attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking hobbies-image-jpg  
tkrik (06-22-2017)