View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Cool Smirk

During the summer, I keep cool even while inside. Like Mike said, AC runs a lot, especially if I'm moving around inside. I don't want any peaks and valleys of hot/cool because that means MG will have those too.

Fans are useful, especially the handheld type (while going out), but they don't cool the body down enough after getting heated up. The core muscles are the ones that truly need cooling quickly. Cold showers are nice. I've put my head in the freezer a time or two.

There are cooling vests, but they can be heavy and only last for 2 - 3 hours. Travelon has a great handheld fan. There are cooling ties that one can drape around the neck (cools after putting them in water).

Amazon.com: Travelon 3 - Speed Personal Folding Fan (2): Home & Kitchen

For those without AC, there are now stand alone AC units (not window units). Compare the costs with a hospital stay!

For me, just taking the garbage out is too much. I need to do the serious cool down right afterward. I also try to go out early or late when the air is not as hot. I've gone so far as to put "Boo-Boo buddies" in my bra (soft cooling packs made for kids)! They help for a little while.

Amazon.com: Fish Boo Boo Buddy(R) Cold Pack: Toys & Games

Don't forget that the worse MG is, the longer it takes to recover. And the effects are cumulative over time. Sudden shortness of breath episodes are a huge warning that the core muscles are far too weak. Try gripping something or holding the arms out to test how weak the muscles truly are. We can become weak so slowly that we don't realize the severity of that.

When in doubt, call your neuro. Or dial 911.

How are you handling the heat, Erin?! You take the bus, right? I don't think I could do that!

Take it easy out there!

Not too close of a hug though . . . too hot!
Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ErinBear (06-21-2017), pingpongman (06-21-2017), rach73 (07-03-2017)