View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 10:39 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks, pingpongman and AnnieB3. I appreciate your answers so much.

As for me, I am using all the ideas I have. I bought a neck wrap with a frozen insert this week. It was about $10. I tried it yesterday. I think it helped somewhat, but it only lasted about 1 1/2 hours. I've thought about getting one of the vests, but they are quite expensive and, as you say, i think they could be heavy and they would not last that long.

When I'm at home, I do run the air conditioner, but I live in a small apartment upstairs and only have one tiny window air conditioner. It does not sufficiently cool the apartment when the weather is this hot. It would be better to have a second air conditioner, and maybe that will be possible one day. I don't know. Meanwhile, I use big ice packs (commonly used for physical therapy) to help. I sit against them or use them over my abdomen. I eat popsicles. Sometimes I wet my hair. I did take showers in the past, but I can't take showers now because I have a permacath for plasmapheresis treatments. I eat cold food, rather than anything warm. That seems to help a bit. Yes, going outside is a real problem, including taking the bus. I'm not up to walking between the bus and my destination, or waiting for a long time at the bus stop in the heat. I try to find a ride if I need to go somewhere, but it is not easy. This afternoon, for instance, I have plasmapheresis at the hospital, so I will catch the bus soon, while it is cooler, and just hang out at the hospital until it is time for my treatment. On the plus side, they have very good air conditioning! So that is a bonus. But it makes for a very long day. Thankfully I do have a ride home this time, which is helpful because by then it will probably be over 100F again. I'll be so glad when this heat wave passes!

Yes, careful hug thoughts to everyone (so that we all stay cool).

Love,
Erin
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (06-21-2017)