View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Ellibeans,

Please re read my previous lengthy reply to you as it will explain why the root canal or another root canal will not solve your problem.

That tooth is going to need to be extracted irrelevant of how many times you have the root canal procedure done. Please go back to my reply and open up the attached diagram to see the many hundreds of microscopic canals that will remain infected as long as the tooth is in your mouth.

Your family dentist can and should offer you a referral to an oral surgeon to have a consultation and extraction of that tooth. He should also reimburse you the money that you paid him for the root canal procedure because the root canal had no positive benefit and the tooth is going to need to be extracted.

#1- It is healthier for you to have this infected tooth extracted, than it is to retain it because the infection is going to erode your jaw bone which is called osteonecrosis, which then leads to a bone infection called osteomyelitits. That type of infection is very painful and very difficult to eradicate. The infection can also easily spread to the adjacent teeth... to your lymphatic system.. and to other vital organs. It is not something to dismiss or just live with.

#2- You do not have to replace that tooth. Your age is a positive factor with extracting this tooth as your bone will fill in a lot thicker and healthier than for someone who is older. It is important to take care of the rest of your teeth, get your cleanings 2 times a year and make sure your oral hygiene is very thorough with brushing and flossing. You will do fine without this tooth.

If your family dentist is insistent on doing another root canal procedure and tries to scare you again into retaining this sick tooth and won't refer you to an oral surgeon.... then you should seriously consider finding an oral surgeon on your own. Another root canal is not in your best interest and he knows that. He should also reimburse your money so that you can use it to pay the oral surgeon to cover the cost or part of the cost to extract the tooth.

Please do not wait to take care of this. A lower molar infection can cause a condition called Ludwig's Angina which is a potentially life threatening cellulitis in which the swelling can close off your airway. Again, not to scare you but to inform you of the seriousness of your infection. Your family dentist should be informing you of this also. This is not something to procrastinate on.

Please, seek a consult with an oral surgeon.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliebeans View Post
Hello! Thank you and no worries about the scary information, I was prepared for it. Just some questions as to how I go about getting the after care for it, as I can't afford an implant or a bridge really, is it possible for someone like me to get this kind of thing done? Im only 19, living with a couple roommates, I have no steady income. I don't really know what to do anymore about this. The tooth has a large cavity for a long time, then I cracked it so I went to the dentist and got a root canal and filling done, I knew that something was off as I could still FEEL in that tooth after the procedure.. so I was unsure about it all, it almost feels as if things have gotten worse since the initial root canal treatment, im going to have to go back for root canal treatment again soon, as I don't have any other dentist really I can go to. It's my family dentist.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote