View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi David,

MCS... multiple chemical sensitivities?

I am familiar with MCS. You stated that you try to avoid your triggers, so obviously you know what they are. But do you know why you have MCS? Have you ever thought it could be related to mold sickness?

Based on your description, you have a sinus communication. I am also wondering if the dentist was able to remove the tooth in its entirety? Did he say he broke anything off or did he take a post operative xray to make sure he removed all of the tooth? You mentioned fistula.... there is no way to know a time frame for a fistula to form. It can be something that develops slowly or it can occur within a few days.

Is there any way you could go to a private oral surgeon for a consult and evaluation? They would need the xrays from your original dentist and then they would take one of their own, possibly a panoramic xray, to view the entire arch from a more comprehensive perspective. An xray will show a moderate or larg sinus communication.

Post your thoughts on this when you can a chance.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywayd View Post
Hello, I have stumbled across this forum doing some research over last few days. Can I please have some pointers regarding my sinus communication.
I am 48 Male name is David
I have had undiagnossed MCS for 8 years. All the doctors want to do here in the UK is send me to psychiatrist and put me on meds.
I manage my condition by avoidance of triggers though I often push myself and do things that make me sick for days or longer.
Anyhow I was hoping to get some guidance from Bryanna or others (Bryanna seems to pop up all the time on here with great advice for others)
Back to the dentistry problem I am having,

On friday I had Maxillary second molar extracted. There was some cracking noise during extraction.
I remember the dentist saying there was a big gap during clean up and asking assistant for a small probe (i think thats what he said)
He asked me to blow whilst holding my nose.
afterwards I was sitting in the reception room an noticed air coming into my mouth from my nose. I checked by gently do same as what dentist asked me to do. I asked dental assistant but she just said you shouldn't do that. I asked her to have a quick look and she said it was fine.
When rinsing mouth gently water was passing out through my nose.
On sunday water was not coming through nose but I could feel the water trickling out of the cavity when I stood up. An when breathing through nose I could see the water moving up and down on my gum (if that makes sense)
I spoke to my dentist on monday about this and he said he would get some advice. He came back and said if it is a communication he would need to refer me to oral surgeon but he would need to see me on tuesday (yesterday) to confirm the communication first.
After tons of research reading on the net and equipping myself with knowledge, on monday night I didn't notice any water moving around the area and have been really gentle with things, though on that side I have a deviated septum so stuffy normally there giving more pressure to extraction site. I was only noticing some slight fluctuation in the area when I swallow.
When I went to see dentist yesterday I didn't want to just do nose blow test because I felt it would just make it worse and may definately mean referall and I don't know how long that would take, and other concerns, so was hoping it was healing up. He agreed and had a look without probing and only using water to have a quick look.
My questions to him were how big was the gap that he was saying about during extraction and asked him to show me what he meant on a diagram I took with me. He said whilst doing clean up one side was no problem but the other side just stopped as he was cleaning down one side. (meaning end of the bone half way down that side)

Sorry for such an essay!

This morning I woke up with communication back (noticed by flutuance when swallowing and water moving up and down site when I breath through nose after rinsing. Though no water coming into nose)

Should I just see how things go over next few weeks? Dentist still not sure I have a communication though I don't know why he thinks that.
I am still none the wiser as to size of gap.

From what dentist described I think root bone (the bone the root goes in was narrow and root was in sinus) which may mean gap may be a fair size.
Maybe mucus of some sort is stopping the communication but then any pressure is dislodging this.

One thing I couldn't find much information on was is how long would a fistula take to grow where operation is inevitable? I know depending on size of 5-6mm or above operation is the only option but I have no clue of size.

My concerns:

dentist will only refer if communiction is shown to him (hence nose blow test, I suggested probing but he said it would cause a fiscula) We agreed to see how things go as they are as at that time it seemed much better that it was.
I dont know how I would react to drugs needed for surgical procedure due to my mcs, I react to most drugs. I reacted to the composite filling that the dentist put in and this is why I wanted the extraction and I am now wishing I put some research into extractions beforehand.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated please

David

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote