Thread: Echo Dot
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have two Echo Dot's. (I bought one for me, aunt asked me to buy her one, cousin ended up buying my aunt the big Echo, aunt gave me back the other Dot. I decided to keep it).

I've been using mine to read Kindle books to me. Alexa will read the books to me, or I can play Audible books. (love the Audible skill). I also use the IHeartRadio skill. I bought a fancy battery to use with one of my Echo's, gives it a little portability. I take that one into the bathroom with me when I take a shower. Leave it on the counter, and I can tell Alexa to change the radio stations, or turn the volume up or down. I love that Echo because if my mom comes downstairs to yell at me I can turn off the music/talk radio to be able to talk to her.

I want to get the Echo's set up so that I can work the tv's with it. Then I can turn on shows on my mom's tv for her and not have to constantly keep going upstairs to help her with it. I also want to connect the security system and thermostat to it eventually.

Right now I have apps on my iPads and iPhone to control the thermostat and security systems, but I would love to make them Alexa controlled someday.

I was just looking at the Echo Show. I WANT ONE!!! (or two?). I would love the Echo Show because then I could put one upstairs so I could check on my mom from down here at night, or hopefully there's an iPhone/iPad app I could use with that too if I'm not at home.

I'm really kind of excited about all these things, I just hope I can afford the money to get things set up with the new Echo gadgets. If I can, I'd get one for my sister so she could talk to my mom when she can't get over here.

I am a bit paranoid about the cameras on the Echo Show. I'm one of those people who puts tape over the cameras on all my computers. I'd probably do that on any Echo Show that I'd put in my bedroom. If I had one upstairs though, I'd put it in a public area of the house like the kitchen. Less of a chance of anyone getting an eyeful accidentally.

edit
my favorite game on the Dot right now is Jeopardy!. Every day except for weekends there are 6 new questions that you can answer (in the form of a question) and I've been doing pretty good with that. I noticed that the questions are usually pulled from categories they use on the shows during the day.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~

Last edited by Erin524; 06-21-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: edited to add info
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (06-22-2017), Starznight (06-23-2017), Twinkletoes (07-07-2017)