View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

He told me not to rinse like normal just to hold warm salt water on that side and then repeat. I have been doing things really gentle anyway.
He said if salt water does go up in nose not to worry it wont do any harm.

He never said anything about the inflammation, he just said it may have been there before this all happened. I do have a deviated septum and regularly have stuffiness that side due to my allergies anyway.

I was going to do some research on the inflammation because I think that may hinder healing, do you have any suggestions? Maybe he never suggested anything due to my MCS. I have bought some eucalyptus oil and Alba oil and possibly do some steam inhalation, would that be ok or to harsh.
Any good herbal remedies for this inflammation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
David,

Glad you got in to see the oral surgeon and they took a ct scan.
The term fistula and sinus tract can be interchangeable. In that case it means, yes, there is a definitive opening into the sinus from the extraction site. A fistula of 6.6 mm in diameter is a good size opening. Hopefully it will heal on its own. Did he give you at home instructions of what to do and what not to do between now and next week to try an promote healing of the membrane and reduce the inflammation?

The debridement that I refer to on many posts is correlated with the actual extraction. Every time a tooth is extracted, the dentist is suppose to thoroughly debride the bone socket, remove the periodontal ligament and any disease tissue or bone that is visible clinically or radio graphically. If that debridement is not done immediately and thoroughly after the tooth is extracted, then the dead ligament can prevent or prolong complete healing. Not debriding is like leaving debris in a surgical wound.

When a sinus communication is repaired, the surgeon will debride the surgical site, the sinus and the surrounding area. The degree of that debridement depends on how well the site was debrided at the time of the extraction and if there is infection present.

The hope is that the sinus communication will close on its own. The extraction site, the gum tissue, may or may not close before the sinus opening closes. The bone will not fill in at the area of an open sinus. The sinus needs to be closed for the bone to fill in there.

With or without a sinus opening, the jaw bone normally takes up to one year after a tooth is extracted to solidify. The gum tissue closes over long before the bone solidifies.

The actual surgical repair is of the sinus membrane. However, the gum tissue and bone are involved during the repair surgery.

Bryanna
skywayd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote