Thread: I'm Melting....
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Even worse in the humidity over getting sweaty and sticky is if you have the slightest breathing issue, a stuffy or even worse still a runny nose in the middle of August here and you might as well check into the nearest hospital and be put on oxygen because you will not be moving any air into your lungs. I still remember getting strep in August once... I couldn't get my fever down no matter what I tried, couldn't breath even though there wasn't any lung involvement, I just couldn't really get the air to pass through my nose that was running or my throat that was swollen and raw.

Ended up in the hospital for 4 days over that... and it was simply strep throat, nothing at all unusual other than highly oppressive humidity and heat that was so terrible there was no way to reduce the fever at home at least. In the hospital they had me rather covered in ice packs, on an IV, hooked up to oxygen and pumping me full of fever reducers, antibiotics and fluids. Even the A/C in the building couldn't keep up with the heat from outside... You can really only get about a 20 deg difference in outside air to inside air. So when it's 110 outside the coolest you can get inside is 90 give or take a few degrees depending on the age of your unit and insulation.

I now runaway up north for the worst of the heat in the south. I never want to go through something like that again. The two weeks of heatwave weather we get down here generally finds me hiding in the mountains of NH, unless the sneak up all of a sudden with the climate changes.
Jappy (06-29-2017)