View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
mussbsweet,

If you struggle to concentrate when music is playing, turn the music off. The problem is your brain is trying to do too many things at once. I have lived with this for 17 years. Many with PCS have this same problem and it is probably the longest lasting or even permanent symptom many deal with. Learning how to moderate external stimuli is a skill that is imperative to people with PCS.

The issue is the brain can lose the ability to filter out extraneous stimuli. Things that were not a bother prior to the concussion can be overwhelming.

As you say, they become more frequent if you push yourself harder. The PCS brain cannot be pushed harder until it has had time to recover. Even then, increasing mental effort should go slowly or in small spurts. As soon as you start to sense overload, either turn off the music or remove yourself to a quieter place.

I am sorry to say but this is not a 'push through it' time. Those that do best accept these limitations and work within them and slowly see improvements.

I always have foam ear plugs handy. Mack's brand are good. I also use head phones to listen to YouTubes or watch NetFlix or TV because I struggle with the ambient sounds in the room.

Years ago, my neurologist did some tests on how my brain processes sound. Upon reading the results, he turned to me and said, "You hear everything. How do you handle that ?" My wife responded, "That's why we are hear."
He explained how the brain needs a lot of processing power to filter out background sounds. A compromised brain does not have that power. It is a physiological issue, not a matter of focus.

So mean listening to music isn't always my choice people play music at work. I just started a new job and it's a small lab so learning all the new things in the training is what gave me the pins and needles. That was Monday through Friday and on Friday someone decided to play music for the last two hours of my shift. I don't know how to tell people I don't want them to turn on the music. The last time I did that someone told me to use my ear plugs and that's what they are for. Harsh! I have noticed it's hard for me to filter out some things I feel like I do hear things a mile away. I also feel like I've developed a condition where you cannot stand to hear people chew or make noises. I'm that can actually throw me into a fit of Despair and anger.
As you can see I'm trying to hold a job like a normal person. Maybe it's because it's learning something new again. I often feel like that happens when I'm learning something new. there's a lot of things that do not agree with my brain now but I feel like I cannot control because the world is doing it and I can't stop everybody.
mussbsweet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote