View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 07:54 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Here goes:

First I'd like to thank all who have posted their experiences with rabies vaccine. Your candor has helped me a great deal. I have waited to post until some time passed after my bite and vaccinations. I was bitten on my right hand by a bat Dec. 24, 2016. Didn't catch the bat, so had to have the post exposure prophylaxis. I have allergies, multi chemical sensitivity actually. After the second rabies vaccine injection, I had an allergic reaction. I was able to complete the series by taking my antihistamine medication a half an hour before the last two injections. My treatment was human rabies immune globulin and Imovax. A few days after completing the series I was drifting off to sleep in the recliner when I noticed a needles & pins sensation in the bottom of my right foot, then the right foot began to flutter uncontrollably like a humming bird. Very upsetting. In the following days and weeks I developed muscle jerks as I drifted off to sleep, legs, shoulders, across upper back, urinary urgency, parasthesia (the "socks" syndrome: feet and half way up calves) insomnia, auditory hallucinations X2 ("heard" my cell phone ringing when I knew it was not) leg pain, shooting pains in my arms and hands, anxiety attacks, deep depression, brain fog, extremely painful flares of the osteoarthritis in my knees, extreme fatigue. I've also had a couple of days where it seemed I was producing more saliva than usual. My regular M.D. right away said all of this was out of her expertise and said I needed to consult an infectious disease doctor. He was thorough and reassuring, but when I told him of the auditory hallucinations, he sent me to a neurologist. I was anticipating the worst; invasive scans or the "It's all in your head, you're fine." thing. When I handed the neurologist my notes, she read them and said, "This is pretty much classic for a vaccine adverse reaction." She did the usual neuro check; reflexes, sensory sticking with a wooden stick on the extremities, push/pull strength test, fingertip to fingertip to nose, etc. and ordered some blood work which all came back fine. At the 6 week check up with her, the symptoms were still waxing and waning (no more auditory hallucinations, thank goodness.) She told me this all could remit and flare for a year or more, but I'd eventually be fine. This month I finally had about eleven extremely good days in a row, and then two nights ago as I was drifting off to sleep it all hit with a fury again...5 hours of muscle jerks, urinary urgency, whole body vibrating, heart racing and pounding. Very, very discouraging. Since that night I've been fine again, but for me the awful thought of vaccine failure and rabies scares the heck out of me. I know chances of that are slim to none, but in the throes of all those ugly symptoms...it's so hard. The insomnia, parasthesia and auditory hallucinations have not recurred since very early on in this fiasco. The arthritis flare is very, very slowly subsiding. My husband was sleeping in the same room when I got bit, so he had the vaccine series also. Thank goodness his only reactions were a temporary stiffness in his shoulders, and a period of increased fatigue. He's fine, thank goodness. What I've been through has taken a toll on both of us, we're senior citizens. I can't imagine trying to maintain a career with all of this going on.
Batbite24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Prince227 (04-14-2021)