Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

It seems my mother has gone a wee bit crazy... since I can still operate my sewing machine she has been cutting out quilts like crazy and making me her little sewing bee. Including making a tall ships quilt for my brother who barely even talks to me, that requires 180 tiny little triangles sewn for the sails alone. All I can say is bro better send me a Christmas card for all those little sails his ships are getting.

We just finished the top of a quilt for my cousin as well, I'll have to remember to snap a picture of it to share, it's an adorable patchwork kitty, the whole quilt is one big cat pieced together by squares following a grid pattern. It's truly cute and my cousin is cat crazy so she should love it. And my mother has also already begun cutting out a sampler quilt for my one of my aunts, has all the fabric to make another quilt for one of my uncles and my sister who I'm on even worse terms with than my brother, and still has plans for me to sew up quilts for all three of my nieces and my nephew, as well as my GB's and my other aunt (who also wants a tall ships quilt), and then of course there's the quilt for my DH.

Oh and she wants a quilt as well, she just can't decide if she wants to sew it herself making a cathedral window quilt by hand, or think of something else so I can sew it up for her.

Crazy... that's my mother to a T. Love her to death, but she has me working my fingers to the bone right about now, because naturally they all have to be done in time for shipping them out at Christmas. And this week so far I've only managed to sew 70 of the 180 sails I need for just one quilt (and I still need to sew the whole thing together and build the body of the boat then quilt it all).

But hey I did want a hobby that I could do, and my mom came through in spades, plus a few clubs and hearts and a couple of diamonds (cheater! ) All joking aside it is enjoyable, and I did tell her that if I'm falling behind too much she's just going to have to jump on a machine as well and lend a hand if she REALLY wants them done by Christmas. Otherwise I'm moving at a nice pace slightly above that of a snail, but don't they say slow and steady wins the race?