View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Cool Smirk

Clare, There's also the issue that quinolone drugs can cause a MG exacerbation. If you "up the ante" and take yet another one, you could be in serious trouble. As Mrs D said, you are already having protective effects from Plaquenil.

The fact that you are vacationing in a tropical area, where both heat and humidity are factors in tanking MG, is of even greater concern. The body can't cool down in humid conditions. I hope you are prepared for that and the fact that medical care is spotty at best in the Dominican Republic (been there myself in 1996 before I was diagnosed and it was awful). Don't forget that the area is surrounded by water, which acts as an intensifier of the sun's rays.

International Medical Centre, Mexico (Playa del Carmen , Cancun), Dominican Republic (Punta Cana)

You can protect yourself in many ways from mosquitoes while there. There are nontoxic mosquito repellents and wristbands that help. The people on the island do their best with other things such as citronella candles, etc. If you are going on any tours, through the forests for example, prepare accordingly! Just those bus rides along narrow roads are enough to push MG over the edge! And I experienced that while during a downpour.

Side effects from those drugs can be permanent (such as eye damage), so think carefully before you do something that might harm you. If you have symptoms of malaria after (or during) your trip, you need to seek out help immediately. The danger with malaria is waiting for help.

CDC - Malaria - About Malaria - FAQs

I hope you have a really good trip, without incident. You may want to keep your light on while you sleep or bring some netting. Have you seen the 2 - 3 inch long roaches in the DR? Check your luggage before you leave!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 06-28-2017 at 06:32 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Clareb (06-28-2017)