View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 02:58 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Default Does SFN lead to disability?

Hello there,
I am a 27 year old male. My symptoms started about 2 months ago. It started with my left toe being numb and tingly. It then progressed to both feet and hands. Now both of arms and legs up to the thighs have that tingly sensation throughout. I've been under a lot of stress and anxiety because of this. My PCP did a full blood work and everything came back normal. I then saw a neurologist which he ordered brain and cervical MRI, both came back negative. He tried to assure me that I am fine and these symptoms will go away soon.
I wasn't convinced at all and went to see another neurologist yesterday. He did an EMG test and it was negative as well. He ordered more blood tests to rule out autoimmune disease/lyme/toxins..etc
He told me that if everything came back normal he'll do a skin biopsy.
I am almost positive that I have SFN since my symptoms are totally similar. I have had sleepless nights because of burning to both my hands and feet. I've had multiple panic attacks thinking that these are my last days of my life. My PCP prescribed Xanax for me and said to take it if I had more panic attacks. I've been very careful with it since I know its a very addictive drug. I am still under a lot of stress and anxiety. I keep looking things up about the prognosis of SFN and if my life is about to change to the worst. I've been very healthy all of my life. I eat very healthy and workout 4 days a week. I am also starting dental school next month and will move to Boston for that. I keep thinking that I will fail in school because I wont be able to use my hands in the future. I keep having nightmares about ending up in a wheelchair because of this disease.
Browsing through this forum gave me some comfort. I showed me that I am not alone in this. My family and friends think I am overreacting about this and they think that my symptoms are psychological.
I just want someone to tell me that I would still be able to pursue my life goals even if I had SFN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usif is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Skeezyks (06-29-2017), St George 2013 (06-30-2017)