Thread: New
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, Kay! This is a great forum. People here are very supportive and knowledgeable.

I'm sorry that your Dad died of ALS. I had a friend who died of the disease. ALS is not a very forgiving illness.

MG is one of those diseases that is easy to diagnose—once it is thought of! The symptoms you describe sound like the typical fatigable weakness that MGers have. I hope the swallow test went okay today.

I'm glad you sought out a 2nd opinion! You have emphysema, so get over it?! OMG. What an awful thing to say to a patient! The restrictive pattern of breathing that MGers have is pretty obvious.

I'm sure the pulmonologist ordered MIP (maximum inspiratory pressure) and MEP (maximum expiratory pressure) tests. Make sure that you ask for ALL of the numbers to be printed out. They often only show the highest one. Since MIP and MEP can progressively become worse when MG is bad, having all of the numbers is crucial. For other "static" neuromuscular diseases, that isn't as important. You would probably be able to be given those stats the day of the test.

You may not know that those PFTs are exhausting for someone with MG. Try to schedule time for a nap afterward. I'm not kidding!

Geez, I hope you haven't had MG for 20 years. There are MG patients who were diagnosed with fibromyalgia and actually had MG. I hope they have checked out your thyroid as well.

I have both a cane and a walker. There are times when either one of those comes in handy. I'm glad you have a cane to assist you. Kind of rough, though, that our arms become weak easily as well! I tend to have my chest wall muscles become weak when I do too much, and that is when a walker is necessary. That doesn't happen a lot. But the summer months make MG so much worse.

Yes, please do take it very easy and try not to be out in the hot weather. Cool down quickly if you do. And then rest.

So many people don't think of MG; even nurses! You sound very methodical in your approach and your persistence may have saved you from having a MG crisis. Good for you!!!

Did you get the copies of all tests, including a CD of the chest CT? If not, make sure you obtain all copies for your records.

If you want some more information, go to Home or Muscular Dystrophy Association MG has a high learning curve. There are drugs that can make MG worse, as well as heat, stress, infections, lack of sleep, etc.

If you have MG, give yourself some time to adjust to the disease. And, please, go over all of the treatment options thoroughly and what the impacts might be on you, now and in the future. Neuros often have an algorithm they follow. That does not necessarily mean any treatment plan is right for you.

MG is not as difficult to live with as it once was (thus the "gravis" part of the term). Many people can still work and live relatively normal lives. Yes, there are those of us who have it worse off. But attitude is everything, as is adapting one's life to the new reality. So, please, don't be too stressed out over all of this (not that you would be). Being diagnosed with a new illness is overwhelming, no matter how informed and confident a person is.

I hope you will have answers next week! Please let us know if you have any more questions! People here are just amazing!!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rach73 (07-03-2017)