Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Well... sometimes I'm so foolish I astound myself. I have a sewing machine that was marketed for quilting. Since purchasing it many moons ago it has made a grand total of three quilts (and the 4th I'm now working on), I primarily used it to make clothes so the only foot I've needed and have paid any attention to is the simple pressure foot, and the odd buttonhole foot but since I hate doing buttons mostly I'd pass the articles off to my mom for her to sew the button holes and buttons on. So one foot, that's all, I've done invisible zippers, cording and all with just the standard pressure foot.

But as we were talking about doing the quilts, my mom couldn't help pointing out how much easier they would be to quilt with a walking foot, and a freehand foot (I've done freehand with just the pressure foot too...little tricky but not impossible) but sure whatever makes it easier right (was my initial reaction)

So we first hopped online and started looking at feet. Some were pricey, some were cheap, some... who knew if they would work with our machines or not??

Then my mom found, while digging through our sewing stashes, the freehand foot she was talking about! Woohoo, we don't need to buy one, but really wasn't wholly necessary, is what I thought... well a bit more digging around and we found the walking foot, okay so things will be a little easier pfft whatever... then she found the holy grail of quilt cheating!!!

HOW could I make it these 37 years without ever using a guide foot??!! Forget sliced bread this is like the best thing since... the invention of fire! Mother of all sewing cheats!! I'm waiting for the house to drag me into some dingy basement and beat me for cheating while I'm sewing with it. Like the fat quarters are just going to turn into Italian mafia and come at me with baseball bats and cement shoes.

And yet... such perfectly squared perfect little squares!!! *squeaking with joy*. I know it's absolutely ridiculous to be this excited about a sewing machine foot... but seriously... best thing EVER! And all this while was hiding in my little baggy of misc. sewing machine parts that I haven't opened once and looked in.

Sooooo soooo many more quilts to see that are going to be soooooo easy now.