View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 11:26 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, my engineering degree didn't quite prepare me for debugging the human body.

Please take this with a grain of salt and understand that every one of us is genetically unique with our own set pf problems, but here are the supplements that I think have helped me:

- High quality fish oil - 1400 mg/day (Google "ER stress fish oil")
- R-Lipoic Acid - I tested low (Read MrsD's posts on it, though. I don't think she's a fan)

I mention these two because when my SFN first hit, acutely, I was a mess. When I started the RLA, I feel it dialed back a notch. And then increasing my fish oil intake seemed to help even more.

I've also recently started taking a high quality biotin supplement which seems to be straightening out hypoglycemia and metabolic issues I was having. I have a rare genetic mutation that causes this. I don't think the biotin is helping the neuropathy, though. I had been hoping it would because extremely low levels can cause profound neurological problems.

My TENS unit seems to help me quite a bit at night. It cycles on any off at a one hour interval. I only need to use it when I'm really flaring. I crank it up, and it seems like that sensation produced by the current is all my brain processes. And because I know that current is SUPPOSED to be there, it doesn't register as a problem like all the other neuropathic weirdness and discomfort does. I don't pretend to understand it well, but I'm thrilled to have that tool in my arsenal.

Oh, and the magnesium cream or spray I use on my feet seems to help when they're bad as well. I also think oral magnesium helps the crazy "internal twitching" I feel in my legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Clipper View Post
Hi Janie, ahh yes, if only our bodies could be debugged as logically as I used to debug communication systems. Not quite the same I'm finding :~)

I was wondering which supplements or processes you listed were the most effective for you?

When I started getting significant numbness in my right foot I brought out a TENS unit that I purchased years ago for a lower back issue. On first application to the numb area on my foot I couldn't even feel the current on the highest setting. Did a 30 minute session anyways. 24 hours later on repeat I now had sensitivity on a 1/3 intensity setting. It's a temporary affect as I'm sure you know.

Last edited by janieg; 07-01-2017 at 11:47 AM.
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
beatle (03-16-2019), madisongrrl (07-01-2017), mrsD (07-01-2017)