View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There are a few people who have negative experiences for every procedure out there...lip biopsy is no different. You are not hearing from all those who had a normal experience without any complications. Most people do just fine with the biopsy, but any time you cut into tissue, you can severe small nerves. The numbness left by this in such a small area where the biopsy is done, should not leave you lasting problems. I had a small bump and minor numbness after my biopsy, but it was localized in a very small area and certainly wasn't anything worth complaining about. This is also why I stressed getting someone with experience to do the procedure.

ALL (and I mean ALL), drugs have potential negative side effects. The impact on people varies...some experience nothing, while others cannot tolerate some drugs at all. There is no way to tell how a drug will effect you unless you try. There are some new tests out there to determine if you can tolerate and metabolize certain classes of drugs, but they just give you an idea of whether you might be at risk for side-effects, etc. But always good to have more knowledge so you can make better informed decisions.

Biologics used today include Rituxan, IVIG, and other immune suppressing drugs. Plaquenil doesn't usually have an impact on neuropathy...doesn't help it either. But everyone is different and just because most people are not effected by Plaquenil (in regards to neuropathy), you may be different...the one in a million who gets something horrific from taking it. Sjogren's by itself causes neuropathy, so you may have it just from having the Sjogren's...and it showed up at the same time while taking the Plaquenil. Who knows. But you have it now, and need to find the best course of action for YOU.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote