Thread: Driving
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 06:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Dear Texasron,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulties with driving. I am not able to drive, either. I am not married and I do no have family, so it is a challenge. Occasionally, I can get a ride with friends, but generally I have to take our local bus to medical appointments and for errands, which also is difficult. Our area has a paratransit system, which will take you door-to-door if you reserve a ride 24 hours in advance. You have to apply for this and have a doctor's approval. There is also a fee to use it. Sometimes I use this, or even call a taxi when there is a more urgent need. Our local transit agency will reimburse costs for using a taxi up to 80%, but only for a limited number of times in a month, so I don't use it very often. This, too, is a program for which seniors and disabled individuals have to apply, and it requires doctor's approval. But finding out what the resources are in your area can be very helpful if you are not able to drive. Each area is different.

Last but not least, if you attend a place of worship, like a church or a synagogue, sometimes they will help with rides. My church does, and occasionally I can get a ride to a medical appointment that way. When it works, that's really wonderful, because it is door-to-door and of course the friends who offer a ride from church are always very kind and helpful.

Sending lots of good wishes your way. I hope the doctor will be able to help you at your appointment in July. That is a long wait. Meanwhile, it might be worth contacting the doctor's office to see if they have a cancellation list. Sometimes they do, and that way you can get in more quickly if your schedule is flexible.

Take care,
Erin
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (07-02-2017)