View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 10:07 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
Yes, my engineering degree didn't quite prepare me for debugging the human body.

Please take this with a grain of salt and understand that every one of us is genetically unique with our own set pf problems, but here are the supplements that I think have helped me:

- High quality fish oil - 1400 mg/day (Google "ER stress fish oil")
- R-Lipoic Acid - I tested low (Read MrsD's posts on it, though. I don't think she's a fan)

I mention these two because when my SFN first hit, acutely, I was a mess. When I started the RLA, I feel it dialed back a notch. And then increasing my fish oil intake seemed to help even more.

I've also recently started taking a high quality biotin supplement which seems to be straightening out hypoglycemia and metabolic issues I was having. I have a rare genetic mutation that causes this. I don't think the biotin is helping the neuropathy, though. I had been hoping it would because extremely low levels can cause profound neurological problems.

My TENS unit seems to help me quite a bit at night. It cycles on any off at a one hour interval. I only need to use it when I'm really flaring. I crank it up, and it seems like that sensation produced by the current is all my brain processes. And because I know that current is SUPPOSED to be there, it doesn't register as a problem like all the other neuropathic weirdness and discomfort does. I don't pretend to understand it well, but I'm thrilled to have that tool in my arsenal.

Oh, and the magnesium cream or spray I use on my feet seems to help when they're bad as well. I also think oral magnesium helps the crazy "internal twitching" I feel in my legs.
Yes indeed, understand that everyone is different and may or may not respond to various supplements or treatments. With my symptoms now becoming more relentless I'm becoming a mess on some days so can relate to that. Thanks for sharing some of the things most helpful for you and I hope you improve as time moves on.

Will have to find a consumable alternative to fish oil pills, tried them before but they are typically huge and hard to swallow for me!
Apex Clipper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote