Thread: Seeking hobbies
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 02:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Well the quilting is coming along nicely as a new hobby, other than waiting for my mom to finish cutting things out . But I finished the top for my brother's tall ships, over sewed a bit since my mom cut out more triangles than we needed but I now have 25 ships all lined up and ready to be quilted when we're ready for that. I'm now working on my aunt's sampler quilt, we have a few plain type blocks mixed in with many different style ones plenty of stars and such including an 8 point paper-piece one that I can't decide if I love or loathe but since I'm only doing nine of them I figure it won't matter much in the end .

I've been a lot happier after finding something I can do, and my DH is happy that I've commandeered our spare room as my sewing room so he doesn't come home to the old mess across the kitchen table and floor from any other time my mom and I have gotten together to sew. I just hope I don't start getting bored with the whole thing, not especially worried on the sampler quilt as there's something different pretty much every day with it, but when I'm back to baskets and scotty dogs, I might be in trouble of boredom setting in once more.

Okay not so much with the scotty dogs LOL, it's for my sister and kind of an inside joke, since when I was six I had a red white and blue scotty dog shirt that I always wore with my red and gold plaid jumper, my sister hated it because "she" said they clashed, I rationalized it as what else would scotty dogs wear if not plaid... duh! My favorite outfit and the one she most despised of all the things I ever wore. So we're making her a very clashy plaid scotty dog quilt for Christmas heheheheheh..... and no it wasn't my idea but my mothers . I love my family sometimes, and if that doesn't get her to talking to me again, well... there's just no hope for our sisterly relationship .

I like polka dots, checks and stripes all together... she's more the solid neutrals kind of person, I liked GI Joes, she liked Barbie (I liked storming the giant Barbie stronghold with the GI Joes ). She likes sappy hair bands and bubble gum pop, I'm more death metal and underground. About the only thing we have in common is we both love the Beatles, different favorite songs, mine's Eleanor Rigby and Helter Skelter, hers is Yesterday and The Long and Winding Road... but at least it's still the Beatles. And we both sew, knit and crochet (or at least I used to be able to do the last two).

She scrubs her house top to bottom before company comes over and then annoyingly tells them to not mind the mess... I swipe the cat hair off the chair while they're standing there and tell folks not to mind the mess And only if there's a mess beyond cat hair for them to mind.

Really if not for liking the Beatles which my brother does too (When I'm Sixty-Four was his wedding march). I'd wonder if she was even related to any of us by blood. . Everything with her has to be perfect... it can be a perfect disaster, or simply perfect, but it must be perfection to one extreme or the other, there's really no in between and she has the sense of humor of a dead fish, and doesn't do sarcasm at all. She was found in a garbage can, I just know it!

Oh well, back to working on my paper pieced stars, and hopefully maintaining my sanity till I finish all 9 blocks.
tkrik (07-06-2017)