View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A very interesting paper.

The paper referenced by the OP states:

"Single-dose MP [mucuna pruriens] intake met all noninferiority efficacy and safety outcome measures in comparison to dispersible levodopa/benserazide."

I take this to mean that the choice of whether to use MP or levodopa and either benserazide or carbidopa comes down to cost and convenience.

Whenever I read about the effectiveness of mucuna pruriens I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

On the one hand, mucuna pruriens is very effective even without a DCCI (such as carbidopa or benserazide), or any fancy processing: you can take a seed, roast it, grind it and mix it with water and you have a self-evidently effective therapy - no fancy trial designs or fancy statistics are required to show that it "works". Everyone on this forum could have discovered the benefits of mucuna pruriens for themselves.

On the other hand, the therapeutic power of mucuna pruriens was missed for years, leaving many millions of people to be poorly medicated.

On balance, I suppose we should take encouragement. If one low tech therapy has been found, others are likely waiting to be unearthed. But only if we look.

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
badboy99 (07-10-2017)