View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 12:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I love sewing! Hopefully your grandkids will get the sewing bug at some point, don't give up all hope just yet .

As a lefty, weird though it may sound, it actually took me a long time to get to where I love to sew, I even have an 1800's trendle machine that my DH got for me And it still works, though we had to replace the belts on it, I don't use it for anything but I still adore simply having it, and one day I'll think of a good project to make with it and hopefully not catch my poor fingers with it.

But I still remember when I was young my mom trying to teach me how to sew, and all I succeeded in doing was jamming up the machine every single time. If it hadn't been for my cousin wanting to make up a very complicated dress when we were teenagers (16/17) I don't think I ever would have braved a sewing machine again. But after helping my mom with the pattern since my cousin bought the wrong size and wanted to alter the shape of the dress some, I decided I would give it one last go. I already knew how to alter patterns but feared the sewing machine.

My mom was patient with us both and since I taught my cousin with some help from mom, how to alter her dress, my cousin in turn helped me with figuring out the sewing machine with a ton of guidance to both of us from my mom since my cousin had never sewn before either. But between the two of us we got it down and I've been sewing ever since, even my cousin still sews a little bit when she has the time (5 kids and 3 jobs!)

Maybe you just need to find a project that will inspire them, a nice rockabilly Halloween costume that would otherwise have cost a fortune... or making their own designer bags! Little purses are usually quite easy to sew up and you get something totally unique to yourself in a single day for very little money (certainly not the $30 and wayyyyy up that they charge for purses now a days)
ewizabeth (09-09-2017)