View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Drug- Elavil. How does it work for pain?

Hello!
I am totally baffled. I'm gonna give you the long story so you can see my confusion and then, hopefully, help me understand!
I am a tendonitis sufferer. I was on Nabumetone (relafen)500mg for several months along with Ultram (tramadol)50mg. During most of that time I was on about 100mg of Neurontin a day. After about 4 months of this cocktail my gums began to bleed pretty bad. (Like any time I sucked on my teeth I could spit out 2 tablespoons of blood and saliva.) I thought maybe this was due to the anti inflammatory and shared this with my doctor. We switched it to Ibuprophen 600mg and got better results for a while. Two months later, my gums are back to bleeding badly.
During the time I've been on nuerontin, my main complaint is that I cannot pull myself out of bed unless I have had at least 10 hours wheras normally I can do fine on 5- 8 hours a night. Last time I was at the doctor's, he wanted me to try Lyrica in place of Neurontin to improve that situation. The WC insurance denied that drug so I am back to nuerontin (no huge biggie).
Today at the doctor's I asked to be taken off ibuprophen. If it is responsible for my gums, I would hate to see what its doing to my stomach and other organs!! Doctor asked about Lyrica- told him it was denied. Next is when I thought I was gonna get a script for a different anti-inflammatory but instead he told me to quit the neurontin and gave me a script for Elavil.
What? No anti-inflammatory? No nerve drug? A anti- depressant??!!? How does Elavil work?? What's it gonna do for my tendons? He didn't even MENTION that this was a AD. I had no idea what it was until I looked on rxlist.com . I am so confused!

Can somebody school me on this?? Please I just wanted to save my insides as I'm saving my arms from the pain of tendonitis.... god- I shouldn't have written so much. OW! But I had to get the story and question out
THANK YOU MUCHLY!!
thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote