View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi--
I have been taking Elavil for about the past year for nerve pain. Yes, its an older anti depressant, but like many other meds (ei pamelor, neurotin, depakote) it can be used for other purposes, including pain. The way my neuro explained it to me was that Elavil increases the chemical seratonin in your brain (which can have an impact on pain), along with effecting several other of the brain's neuro transmitters, therefor decreasing nerve/neurological type pain.

My only "concern" or other thought is why is your neuro giving it for tendonites, which, as I am sure you know is Orthopedic in nature. Elavil is NOT an anti inflamatory and tends to work only on nerve pain. I have never heard of it being used for tendonites or other non nerve type pain. So, that throws up a few caution signs. However, since you were also on Neurontin-- which is another drug used for nerve pain, I am wondering if your doctor thinks there might be a neurologic component to your pain. Personally, I would ask the doctor about why you are being prescribed a drug for nerve pain (vs an anti inflamatory) when, to your understanding, your pain is caused NOT by nerve pain; and if he thinks there might be, at least in part, a neurologic component to it.

As far as the drug itself goes, I've not had any major problems with it. It tends to excaberate the tremors I already have from my anti seizure meds, and tends to make me a bit sleepy (thats why its commonly taken at bed time). Another common side effect is weight gain--- I experienced about an
8 lb weight gain my first trial run on it (i tried pamelor and lyrica before ending back up on Elavil ), but have not experienced it this time.

In anycase, I think its time for your dr and you to have a serious chat about what he thinks is going vs you, and why.

Hang in there !
L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote