View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 03:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Caution about driving

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but....the driving issue is a huge one. I read of a situation overseas where a PWP was involved in an accident, and the insurance company denied coverage on the grounds that he had not advised them that he had PD, and had he done that, they would never have insured him, and so therefore denied him coverage based on false information. I can see this happening more and more as insurers try to limit their liability-almost anything is fair game, but how horrible!

You might want to contact your insurance company and ask what their policy is-are you required to advise/update them of any condition that you may be dx'd with after you get/renew your policy as a condition of coverage? Perhaps consult with an attorney-he/she would be able to advise you of any potential liability in your area if you were involved in an accident.

And even if you have coverage, there is the issue of the unpredictabilty of PD. Meds wear off, sometimes when unexpectedly or suddenly.

I also read a study in which doctors and driving instructors rated the driving ability of various PWP, and the PWP also rated themselves. Not surprisingly, the PWP rated themselves much higher than the doctors and instructors...the doctors rated the PWP higher than the instructors, and the instructors rated almost every PWP in the small study as someone who should not be driving. If I remember correctly, it was primarily the reaction time that was the issue.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote