View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 08:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
This post raises two related questions:

Why do many PwP go unmedicated with levodopa/carbidopa at night?

Is the apparent failure of levodopa/carbidopa to address the non-motor symptoms of PD due to an insufficient dose being used?

Many PwP take drugs overnight, but many don't. For these, typically the last dose of levodopa/carbidopa of the day is at 1900 and the first dose is at 0700. This gives a gap of 12 hours between doses which, since the half life of levodopa is about 90 minutes, means that very little is left by the morning.

I used to think that it made sense not to "waste" a dose overnight or even in the late evening. My "off" is still, 12 years post diagnosis, fairly good: I can walk at normal speed, but my typing is very slow. So, often, if I'm just watching television, I'll choose to go without a dose.

Of course, the problem with this regimen is that the non-motor symptoms of PD, such as constipation, are not being addressed. The processes underlying constipation are continuous, 24/7. They require a job to be done over a few days. In a sense, their success depends on the integral (sum) of dopamine levels over time. Thus, time spent "off" likely affects constipation.

The Braak hypothesis says that PD starts in the gut, before spreading to the brain. It is reasonable therefore to suggest that the dopaminergic neuron loss is higher in the gut than in the brain, and hence that the dose required to relieve the symptoms in the gut is higher. So, titrating the dose using only the motor symptoms as the measure leads to a dose which may be sufficient for an "on" for the motor symptoms, but which I suspect is insufficient to bring therapeutic relief for the non-motor symptoms of PD.

If this is the case, two approaches to consider are: increasing the daily dose of levodopa/carbidopa, especially by using the overnight slot; trying to target the dose, so that one amount goes to the brain, and a different amount goes to the ENS.

Any comments?

John
Hi John,
Sounds like you're going well 12 yrs on. I think if you don't need the evening dose unless perhaps you were out and about or needed to type then just leave it as is.
The fact that you can comfortably with a degree of normality turn over easily in bed go to loo etc is my thinking on that.
Are you ok with say 100 mg Sinemet first thing in the morning?
If not enough the fact that you've gone 12 hrs with no levodopa you might not move as well?
If thats the case perhaps increase your morning first dose by 50 mg if still unable to dance around the room maybe an extra 100 mg?
Not sure what ENS is.
Your bowels would IMO open more easily when on I'm sure.
Anyway been meaning for ages to tell you I enjoy your posts.
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
johnt (07-14-2017)