View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 06:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile It's a New Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Rosie,

As MrsD said, the pain in your foot may be referring from another area...like the knee. Keep in mind that much of pain from PN comes from the spine, so applying the patch in different locations (including the lower back) may be helpful.

Also, have you seen a podiatrist? I have PN in my feet but new pain on top of my right foot was getting bad and seemed uncharacteristic of PN. But I wasn't sure, so went to a podiatrist. After simple xrays in the office, it appears my entire foot is collapsing...literally. So, if you are not sure what is causing your pain, or the patches don't help even when placed in various locations, consider seeing a podiatrist. It might be something different, all together. Just a thought.
I do see a podiatrist whenever a callus appears. I got some Aspercreme Creme with Lidocaine, and it did help with the pain at the top of my foot and ankle. The pain on those places was an intermittent zap. I got the roll-on, and that took care of it. I will ask for xrays next time I go even though I don't want to hear that my feet are collapsing. Did the podiatrist say that the foot collapse was due to PIN, and what if anything can be done for it?

I had xrays of my spine awhile ago, and the doctors didn't think there was anything that would be causing my PIN. My PIN started in my toes about 25 years ago, and progrressed slowly throughout the years. It's not until this year that I have the burning and zaps in my ankle and sometimes on the tops of my feet where my third and fourth toe meet. When I wake in the morning is when I feel like my feet are wrapped tightly with an ace bandage until I stand and walk. Birkenstock Mayari sandal is my life saver. It has the toe hold which helps to lift the front of my foot when I walk. My feet are so much better throughout the day when I'm up and walking. My husband and I walk the Mall at least 3 times a week which takes about 45 minutes to walk about a mile.

I've had all kinds of tests and the only thing that I was told was I have small fiber PIN. I was a heavy drinker up until a year ago. I stopped drinking completely this year and thought maybe it would help with PIN but it doesn't seem to, in fact it seems worse. Maybe when I was drinking I didn't notice the symptoms the way I do when sober. I gave up the booze and will never take another drink. I can't imagine being in that state and losing my balance, falling and breaking a hip or worse. I called myself a heavy drinker but now I admit to being an alcoholic.

This year my daughter got me to eat healthy. I gave up diet drinks, most sugar and anything made with white flour. I'm eating whole foods and no packaged or canned foods. She tells me if I can't pronounce any ingredients listed on labels then I shouldn't be eating it. I've lost 30 pounds within this year by eating this way. I'm loving it because it was mostly all belly fat. I'm still not on any meds for PIN, and I will continue to do so until I get desperate with the pain. For now it's mostly the burning sensation and the $%^@%$ zaps that I mostly have to deal with.

I will be 79 in January, and I worry if I'm going to be able to keep walking. So far I'm much better during the day than at night thanks to my Birkenstocks. I worry that if I'm ever bedridden and not able to walk, I will suffer with the pain of PIN because I need to wake up, stand, put my Birkenstocks on, and start walking! For now at this point in time, I'm able to get at least 6 hours of painless sleep each night, so I will count my blessings and take it one day at a time.

I love this group and everyone in it.

It ain't what it's gonna' b
e...

It is what it is!...
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ElaineD (07-16-2017), mrsD (07-15-2017)