View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 03:50 PM

5 yr Member

5 yr Member
Smile

Hi Sam,

I was waiting to pick my kids up from school and got hit in the head with a basketball. I'm 2 months in to my concussion. I get how you feel. I was so active in my life and so busy and got really depressed after this happened feeling like I would never get better. I couldn't work or go to my kids soccer games or do anything. I walked around with my head in a fog most of the time. And I felt like no one understood what I was going through. My doctor still doesn't get it. He keeps telling me I should be better by now. Even friends would see me and think I should be better.

I'm no expert. I'm still having issues. All I can write about is what has helped me with my depression.

1 - Telling everyone what I am going through. They call this the invisible injury because no one can see your broken brain. It's like when I broke my ankle and had crutches and a cast and everyone was like " yeah that must be hard to get around" and I could explain how I couldn't take out the garbage etc. But with a brain injury no one gets it. There is nothing to 'see'. No way for people to understand just by looking at you. So I post on Facebook how I am feeling and doing. So people know. I get a lot of understanding and support this way. Because people see me and think I'm fine. But I'm not. So I write about my daily experiences. What it's like to have foggy brain. Or how frustrating it is to get a headache after talking to someone. Or how last week if I titled my head in the shower I got sick but this week it's ok. I want people to know what I'm going through so they get it.

2 - I focus on small goals. Things that I can do and things that will make me happy. A friend coming over for a small visit, painting a picture, re-organizing my room. Whatever small thing. Because I need things to look forward to. I was so social and active before so now I have to re-frame what that is. Before I was getting so consumed with what I couldn't do so now I find positive things to focus on. Things I can do. Things however small that will make me happy.

3 - Have hope. I just have hope. I just have to. I was so consumed and depressed thinking about how sucky my life was and all the things I couldn't do. So one day I just said no more. I just have to believe I will get better. So I focus on any small thing that I can do this week that I couldn't last week. My husband is great for pointing stuff out since I often don't notice. Even though I seem to be getting over one symptom and then developing a new one, I still focus on the one that's gone. I just chose to believe my future will be bright. It may not be exactly what it was, but it will be awesome. Maybe even better

4 - I've stopped pushing myself. I had a really busy job and when this first happened I was crazy stressed trying to get people to cover for me and stressed thinking the job couldn't be done without me. I know you are younger and in school but maybe it's the same. I finally accepted that now is not the time to be working - it's the time for healing. And that means resting and doing whatever I need to do get better. So for me, work is not an option. Not now. Not until I'm better. But I do try and do small things every day. I get out of the house for short periods of time. And when I'm home I try to find things that bring me joy. Anything to keep my mind healthy.

Anyway. I just wanted to say Hi. I get it. You aren't alone. I hope you find a way to not have a foggy head every day. I hope you find a way to find people who understand. I hope you find a way to bring joy to your days. I hope you find hope
shaymm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote