View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Rahruwin,

I was in a similar state about 4 years ago after an extreme stress just as I was ending 14 years of Paxil. My new doc put me on Celexa and olanzapine (Zyprexa) for 2 months while the Celexa took effect. I had the same problem with isolation as I was living at my mountain cabin. I was on the Celexa for 8 months and was able to stop.

If you take time off work, don't do it until you have some somewhat structured activities to fill your time. Is there any way you can reduce the stimulation levels at work ?

Regarding hormones, cortisol is released during stress. I bet yours is sky high. Cortisol kills progesterone and can be making everything worse. I would recommend you at least find out what you current levels are. Cortisol, epinephrine, nor-epinephrine, DHEA, Progesterone, estrogen/estradiol, and any others. I would consider this blood work a medical need, not a 'I'll feel better' need.

Does your doctor agree with your using birth control pills for hot flashes ? What do you do on the placebo/no pill days of the month ?

If your chemistry is out of whack, I'd try to balance it before using meds. Bio-identical hormones are not a treatment or therapy. They are just a way to return to balance. It is just like eating healthy is not a treatment. The birth control pill is a therapy because it tries to fake out your body into thinking it has progesterone when it really has progestin, a synthetic that tries to look like the progesterone. Google progestin vs progesterone.

My wife and I know too many women who have needed help to get back to balance.

Use the Xanax if you need to. It is not a problem for occasional 'get past this moment' use, especially in small doses. I have Klonopin (another benzo) and Propranolol (beta blocker) for these emergencies. They can be lifesavers. As long as you do not take them every day with multiple doses, they are fine. I am against benzos but know they are the only solution is some cases. The propranolol is much less risk. You could ask your doctor if you could try it.

Do you have a blood pressure kit at home ? You should. They are about $30. Knowing your BP can be a big help as you cycle through your symptoms. If your BP jumps, propranolol can bring it down. That may be enough to avoid the Xanax. It works for me.

I can imagine what you are going through because I was there in Sept, Oct and November of 2013.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (09-05-2017), Rahruwin (07-19-2017)